- 1 md Eggplant
- 3 md Green onions, finely chopped
- 1 lg Tomato, peeled & chopped
- 1 sm Clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tb Fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Freshly ground pepper
- Eggplant dip is popular in many Mediterranean countries.
- In the West it is often called poor man’s caviar. It’s good with raw vegetable dippers or on crisp Melba toast.
- Prick whole eggplant in several places with a fork.
- Place in a baking pan and bake in 400 F oven for 30 minutes. Cool, peel and chop finely. (A blender or food processor can be used but avoid overprocessing.
- Dip is best when it has some crunch.) Combine eggplant, onions, tomato, garlic and celery.
- Add lemon juice, vegetable oil, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for several hours to blend flavors. 2 tb – 17 calories, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 1++extra (free exchange)
by Elizabeth Rodier