Pappa Al Pomodoro
- 1 lb Plum tomatoes, diced
- 28 oz Can Italian tomatoes,
- 1 1/2 lb undrained & chopped Stale Italian bread, cubed
- 5 ea Garlic cloves
- 1 md Leek, white part only, washed well, chopped
- 1 md Onion, finely chopped
- 1 pn Red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 c Vegetable stock
- 8 ea Basil leaves
- 2/3 c Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy stockpot and stir well. Cover and simmer 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- The mixture should be very thick. Before serving, stir the soup well to break up all the bread pieces.
- Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with a little extra-virgin olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Serve lukewarm or reheat. “Health” Magazine September, 1993 Posted by Linda Davis