Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 1/2 lb 4 Zucchini
- 1/2 lb Mushrooms
- 4 tb Butter
- 1 c Onion, finely chopped
- 2 ts Garlic, finely minced
- 2 ts Lemon juice
- 1/4 ts Thyme (the dried type)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper – to taste
- 1 c Bread crumbs, fresh, fine
- 2 tb Bread crumbs, fresh, fine
- 1/3 c Parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tb Parmesan, fresh grated
- 1 Egg yolk
- 3 tb Olive oil (extra virgin is – best
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Trim off the ends of each zucchini. Cut each in half crosswise.
- Cut each piece in half lengthwise. Scoop out the centers, leaving a shell at least 1/4-inch thick. Reserve and finely chop the scooped-out portions. There should be about 1-1/2 cups.
- Pour enough water to cover the shells into a saucepan and boil. Add the shells and simmer 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Clean and finely chop mushrooms. There should be about 2 cups.
- Heat butter in heavy skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook briefly, stirring, and add mushrooms and lemon juice. Stir and cook one minute.
- Add the chopped zucchini, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook about 3 minutes until the excess moisture evaporates.
- Spoon and scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup of the bread crumbs, the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the cheese and blend thoroughly. Stir in the egg yolk.
- With 1 tablespoon of the oil, brush the inside of a baking dish big enough to hold the shells in one layer. Spoon an equal portion of the filling into each shell and smooth over the top.
- Blend the remaining 2 tablespoons bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese and sprinkle over the top of the stuffed zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Place the dish in the oven and bake 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE FROM ME: I cut the finished zucchini in half to serve more people before “saucing”. Recipe from Pierre Franey’s column, “The 60 Minute Gourmet”.