Vegetable Spring Rolls
- 1 oz Cellophane noodles
- Soaked in warm water for – 20 min
- Drained and – chopped fine 2 Squares bean curd
- 1 md Carrot; peeled paper thin,
- Cut into 1 inch sections – and shredded 1 White part of leek; chopped
- 1 ds Black pepper
- 10 Dried rice papers
- (Banh Trang) 2 c Peanut oil
- Combine all ingredients except rice papers and oil.
- Cut the rice papers into quarters.
- Wet the surface of each paper with water (use your fingers or a brush) and within about 1 min the paper will become flexible enough to be filled.
- Place about 1 tbsp of the filling on each paper and roll.
- Heat the oil in a wok to about 350 deg. F. Place rolls, flaps-down, into oil and cook 20 min
- (10 min each side), until completely done. Serve with Buddhist Nuoc Leo
Disclaimer: This recipe is fat-city. There is another form of spring roll skin which is inherently sticky and stretchy (white and barely opaque), and doesn’t require deep frying. (One could lighly saute the carrots and potatoes beforehand.) I can’t remember what this wrapper is called. BTW – With this alternate type of “spring roll” fresh chinese parsley or cilantro is often included. ~- Side note: About forming a spring roll from quartered rice paper…